What Are The Causes Of Candida?
One of the main causes of candida overgrowth is poor digestion which leads to your immune system being weakened.
Candida is an opportunistic organism which feeds on undigested food particles and when hydrochloric acid and enzyme production is low, undigested food particles reach the lower intestines where they are feasted upon by the Candida.
It is thought that over 80-90% of the population have a Candida overgrowth to at least some degree.
Causes of candida
It usually starts with poor immunity which is caused by impaired digestion which in turn is caused by:
• poor nutrition
• Immunosuppressant drugs such as cortisone which are used for treating allergic reactions by paralysing the immune system.
• long term or repeated antibiotics
• long term or repeated steroids, sulfa drugs
• birth control pills or pregnancy
• environmental antibiotics found in meat, fish, eggs and dairy products
Candida’s favourite food is sugar and it will thrive when the blood sugar is high.
Do you have a C.R.A.P. diet?
So if you have a C.R.A.P. (caffiene, refined carbohydrates, alcohol, processed food) diet which supports high blood sugar and also have impaired immunity from any of the above causes you have the perfect breeding ground for candida to thrive.
High blood sugar levels are caused by:
• a diet high in sugars and refined carbohydrates
• stimulants such as excessive coffee or caffeine
• steroid therapy for asthma, eczema, arthritis and other inflammatory conditions
• environmental hormones
• steroids found in the food supply and oestrogen in the water supply
If the above conditions persist and candida is allowed to thrive it will mutate to its fungal form where it grows roots and burrows into the intestinal wall and no longer requires oxygen to survive and this is when it causes us serious problems.
When ‘leaky gut’ appears the candida has access to your whole body.
The roots cause gaping holes to appear in the gut lining – a term called leaky gut syndrome – and this gives candida access to the whole body. This is what is called a systemic candida infection and this is a factor in all the auto immune conditions that were listed in the last article.
To complicate matters further there are other factors which weaken immunity, allow candida to multiply which in turn leads to leaky gut. They are:
• alcohol (gut irritant)
• caffeine (gut irritant)
• chemicals from processed food
• enzyme deficiency
• a diet of refined carbohydrates
• prescriptive hormones, like birth control pills
• mould and fungal mycotoxins from stored grains, fruit and refined carbohydrates
• drugs- NSAIDs (non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs), antacids, steroids, antibiotics
As you can see the causes of candida albicans are impaired digestion, weakened immunity, high blood sugar levels and leaky gut syndrome all combine to form a vicious circle – because they are all the causes of each component.
I hope this article has answered the question – what are the causes of candida overgrowth?’ Go now and discover the only candida diet that will work and why
– so you can put this yeast back in its place.